Liphook Golf Club

Bohunt Manor Golf Club has now merged with Liphook Golf Club

The following is a short history of the Bohunt Manor Golf Club and it's affiliation with Liphook Golf Club.

Bohunt Manor Golf Club was formed in 1922, limited to 50 male members as a separate club, but affiliated to Liphook GC, with no voting rights. It was named after another of the large estates which fringe the golf course but mystery surrounds the choice of title. Bohunt Manor was the nearest of the big houses to the original clubhouse; it was named after Bohunt Common which in turn got its name from Bohunt Rogate Common.

Membership was originally limited to those living within 4 miles of the course, and largely comprised of local business and tradespeople, plus commoners who had given up their rights to the use of the land. In 1929 Liphook committee agreed that Bohunt could have 10 lady members.

Bohunt members could not play in Liphook competitions, but had full use of the course and clubhouse. Full use of the clubhouse was given up in 1923 by mutual agreement, in exchange for a reduction in annual subs from £3 guineas to £2 guineas.

The first dedicated Bohunt hut was erected before World War II alongside the Pro’s shop and workshop among the Black Huts. When the Club moved from the Links to its present location, Bohunt members dismantled the original hut and re-erected it near the temporary clubhouse. They were permitted to use the Club washroom and the Spike Bar providing they wore a jacket and tie (the same applied to Liphook members at the time). In 1974 a changing room and club room were constructed for the Bohunt alongside the Professional’s shop – it was used as a committee room and changing facility.

Bohunt Manor Golf Club was directly affiliated to the English and Hampshire Golf Unions which made it an independent golf club in its own right. It had its own competitions which were always played on a Sunday morning, when they enjoyed the privilege of having priority on the tee up to 9 A.M. They also had several longstanding home and away golf matches, including matches with Liphook Men and Ladies.

After celebrating 100 years of Bohunt’s existence, it was mutually agreed with Liphook to merge the two clubs. This has been a successful operation with benefits to all concerned.

Below is a 1950 lunch held at the Wheatsheaf Hotel after the first Sanderson Cup. Percy Lockyer, the first Professional, is seen at the bottom right hand corner, pipe in mouth, with his wife and daughter on either side.

Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.